Tuesday, March 17, 2009

No Patty Fingers in the Holy Water, Please…It’s St. Patrick’s Day!

I may not be Irish, but today, in my house we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, keeping alive our very own traditions. There’ll be no corned beef and cabbage but rather a very hearty Guinness stew followed by Irish soda bread. While the stew braises, the CDs in the background will be:

  • Irish Heartbeat-Van Morrison with the Chieftains Big favorite in our house since we're both big fans of Van Morrison and the Chieftains. Favorites are "Carrickfergus" and "She Moved Through the Fair"
  • Celtic Woman Some good stuff and some insufferable
  • The Chieftains 4 Any Chieftains CD is a winner but this one includes the absolutely gorgeous and haunting “Mna Na Heireann” (Women of Ireland) used by Stanley Kubrick in his 1975 movie Barry Lyndon
  • The Irish Isle-James Keane Traditional instrumental Irish tunes including a lovely "Carrickfergus" with harp
  • Windham Hill Samplers-We play the Celtic Christmas III and IV on St. Patrick’s Day; the music transcends the season
  • Gaelic Storm You might recognize this band as the Irish party band in the 1997 movie Titanic
  • Herding Cats-Gaelic Storm This one has a personal meaning as my copy of the CD was given to me by the band, while I was studying music at Edinboro University in PA. I assisted the band in multiple ways when they performed at the school. In other words, I was their "roadie" for the night. I fondly recall Patrick asking me if I wanted to go to the Pub with them after the concert. Unfortunately, I had to turn him down, as I was 2 months shy of turning 21

    We’ll toast my Aunt Maria’s beloved Richard, who died two months before they were to be married, with the leftover Guinness from the stewmaking. And then, of course, there’ll be the annual watching of Richard’s favorite film, The Quiet Man. We'll recite the dialogue along with the movie in our pathetic Irish brogue imitations, sing along to “The Wild Colonial Boy” and tap along to the infectious "Gary Owen" theme.

    Favorite lines from a movie with a treasure trove of great ones:
    Mine: “Who taught ya to be playin' patty fingers in the Holy Water??”
    Aunt Maria’s: “So the I.R.A. is in this too, is it?”
    ”If it were, Red Will Danaher, not a scorched stone of your fine house would be standing".
    Richard's: "It's a nice soft night, so I think I'll join me comrades and talk a little treason."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! You've actually met Galic Storm?!!! How cool. I saw them live in concert in LA, but meeting them is a different story.

Mary,LA

Antonia Rosenberger said...

Hi Mary, The band was very nice and very laid-back unlike many of the performers who came through our university and for whom I also worked. It gives me great pleasure to see their success and hope that it continues. I know that I'd have better stories to relate if only I'd been able to go to the Pub with them...

-Antonia